The most visible development this week has been cutting down one of the two box hedges which runs from the corner of the house. It was taking up a lot of space which we aim to use for more attractive planting, causing a damp problem where it touched the house and also making it difficult to get to the garden water tap. It was quite a big and not easy to get the roots out.
We have also finished uncovering the edge of the raised bed in the back corner of the garden next to Pound Street. It was lost in a mass of elm suckers and sea of wild garlic. I noticed some variation in the construction of the bed edge in my last blog and more have emerged. They seem to suggest some sort of alteration, probably during the period of Council ownership which started in 1939. What exactly was done and why is still unclear and something for future investigation.
We also made some adjustments to the safety barriers around the pond so the garden is ready for the return of visitors. The house reopens on 20 May for pre-booked visitors.
The summer hanging baskets have been placed at the front.
It is less than a month since we started work (20 April) and we have made much more progress that I hoped.