Registered Charity No. 1067131      No. 2182


Home

Events

Exhibitions

Find us

Friends

Volunteers

Shop

History

Local History

Archaeology

Archive

Memories

Transport

Contact

Search

19th C

1900s

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

              1990s

21st C

 

Transport in the 19th century
Click on the pictures below to view the larger images

1868+

Carshalton station on the Mitcham Junction to Sutton line opened in 1868. The genteel Carshalton residents had been guarded about being associated with the railways, and the original Carshalton station was opened in Wallington in 1847 on the West Croydon to Sutton line. The advent of the new Carshalton station saw the original station renamed, more appropriately, Wallington.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

1883

The station at Sutton being rebuilt - this picture shows the view looking southwards along the lines to and from Epsom Downs. The new station canopy is being built on the London-bound platform. The canopy to the right of the picture covers the Epsom-bound platform. The lines through Sutton to Epsom Downs opened on 22nd May 1865.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

1887+

Beddington station opened on 22nd October 1855, and was renamed Beddington Lane in January 1887. The man in the top hat is probably the station master in this view looking towards Croydon, with the gates of the level crossing across Beddington Lane at the end of the platform.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

1890s (?)

Sutton railways station was opened by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway on 10th May 1847 - the station buildings as seen here from Mulgrave Road were built in 1883.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

c. 1890

Hackbridge Station seen looking towards Mitcham Junction in about 1890.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

1890

The pride of the early railway companies in their building shows clearly in the early picture of the extremely elegant station building at Wallington, with its ornate chimney stacks and fine leaded windows. Standing at the platform edge, just to the right of centre, is Mr. Kedge, the station master.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

1891

The staff at Wallington Station pose for the camera in 1891.

From the Sutton Local Studies Collection

The Copyright of all images remains with the owners stated unless otherwise suggested

Return to top of page